There are some foods you should never put in the refrigerator because the fridge temperature affects their properties, so that should be kept better elsewhere.
It may seem the opposite, but the truth is that the refrigerator is not used to keep better and can even cause spoilage before certain types of food. That is why if you did so far, it is important to know that there are some foods you should never put in the refrigerator.
Now we will see what kind of foods you should never put in the refrigerator.
- Tomatoes. Tomatoes lose their flavour in the fridge. Cold air makes the process of maturation, which is what makes them so tasty is curbed. Besides its texture, it is also altered as the cold breaks the membranes inside the walls of the fruit and puts mealy, so it is best to put the tomatoes in a bowl on the counter, in a basket or on a cart. According to Harold McGee, a nutritionist.
due to its semi-tropical origin, “the tomato does not tolerate low temperatures, which make you lose your smell,” among other consequences.
- Potatoes. Save a potato at a low temperature causes the starch becomes sugar so it will become a sweet and floury potatoes. It is best to store them in a paper bag and thanks to its porosity, potatoes take longer to rot. Martha Stewart suggests stored in a cool, dark place with good ventilation or in a pantry “with a temperature between 7 and 10 degrees.” Thus, the potatoes can be kept “fresh for several weeks.” So, you might want to include them in your list of foods you should never put in the refrigerator.
- Bread. The bread in the refrigerator dries and becomes hard quickly. It is preferable to keep it in a cloth bag to keep it from getting hard, as in the paper bag, or tough as chewing gum, in the plastic bag. If you will not eat soon, the best option is to cut in wrap it in plastic wrap to retain moisture and freeze. When removed from the freezer must be left to thaw completely before eating or roasting. The bread itself can be stored in the refrigerator, but always in his bag to prevent drying. I will stick with keeping bread among foods you should never put in the refrigerator.
- Avocados. If we bought ripe avocados and do not want to use them yet, do not put them in the fridge to “to take more,” but leave it in a cool, dimly lit that will be if to put it in the refrigerator completely black and hard as stone.
- Coffee. The coffee loses its flavour in the refrigerator and also catch all odours from other foods that we have inside. Coffee experts insist that coffee should be stored in cool, dark save for its aroma, flavour and freshness sites as light, air and heat are “the principal enemies of coffee.”
- Honey. A low water activity, a high concentration of sugars (osmolarity) a pH between 3.5 and 4.5 and the presence of hydrogen peroxide (commonly known as hydrogen peroxide) with antimicrobial effects and other substances with antimicrobial properties make honey do not put bad easily while in a tightly closed container so there is no reason why you have to keep this food in the fridge. When storing honey in the fridge is crystallised. This is why you should include honey in your list of foods you should never put in the refrigerator.
- Olive oil. Olive oil must be left in the container in a cool place out of direct sunlight or in containers that protect it from light but never put it in the refrigerator because the cold makes them quickly condenses, hardens to form a paste-like butter and, of course, its flavour is altered.
- Onions. The humidity of the refrigerator makes the onions are softened and matching mouldy quickly, and small buds begin to sprout. To prevent rotting as soon have to store them in a cool, dry place … and separate the chips! If they stored together because they will rot before the store together emit a gas that causes both spoilage. Chives and scallions, thanks to its high water content, itself can be put in the refrigerator.
- Garlic. To put garlic in the refrigerator, they will begin to sprout stems and small will soggy and mouldy. To avoid this and get them to stay fresh garlic, it is best to store them in a cloth bag in a cool, dry place. Do include your garlic among those foods you should never put in the refrigerator
- Bananas, pineapples … Low temperatures override the enzymes that allow mature tropical fruits like pineapple, banana or papaya, which causes cold becomes pasty pulp or skin to turn Black. According to McGee, these fruits are accustomed to higher temperatures so it is not desirable to store at temperatures below 10 ° C.
- Chocolate. One of the foods that we can generate doubt about the suitability or not put it in the fridge is chocolate … for what they can melt. However, experts are very clear, the chocolate is among foods you should never put in the refrigerator except containing a milk filling or too hot. The cold will make you out a kind of whitish layer, which means that no longer knows what it should and its texture is not what it should be.
Ideally, experts say, it is to buy chocolate that we will “eat us in the next two or three days for maximum enjoyment.” The “main threats chocolate heat, moisture and odours.” Too much heat is as bad as too cold because the heating subsequently causes moisture to condense. Besides cocoa butter absorbs odours like a sponge.
Chocolate bars that have not been opened can be stored at room temperature away from heat and sudden changes in temperature and humidity. And they can last up to a year of black chocolate and six months the milk chocolate. Nestlé specialists recommend that you keep in a plastic bag with closure used to freeze and when you want to use, remove the plastic is “without unwrapping and let come to room temperature gradually.”
Once opened, they advise wrapped in “foil” and then “plastic again.”Another method is to use the first layer of paper towel or store in an airtight plastic container, large enough for air to circulate.
Filled Chocolate should not be stored for a long time and it is best to eat it within a week after it has been purchased and meanwhile, keep it in a cool place great-what is between 13 and 15 degrees so that the milk does not sour or appearance of mould. Keep chocolate among those foods you should never put in the refrigerator.